Saturday 10 December 2011

Everyone told me so!

Well I have been warned time and time again 'Order your seed potatoes in good time to get the varieties that you want!'. I have just ordered my show seed potatoes from www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk. I will be using white potato 'Winston', white/pink potato 'Amour' and red potato 'Maxine'. The latter variety is my second choice as 'Celine' was sold out. Both are nice potatoes but I find that Maxines eyes are deeper leading to a lack of uniformity.


With just over two weeks to go till boxing day it is time to clean out my pots and trays ready for my leeks,onions and shallots to be shown under artificial lighting. I keep the growing area in the loft as it is always warm and the roots seem to enjoy the bottom heat provided from the rest of the house. This luxury is expensive and not available to everyone, however I do know of people who have got cheap lighting from internet auction sites. (A word of warning though with private sales, all electrical appliances should be thoroughly checked and ideally PAT tested before use).


A sunny window sill will suffice as these alliums will germinate at relatively low temps although your leeks will not have the same vigour as those under lamps. Size is only a quarter of the total points available to an exhibit. The overall quality of flag condition and the uniformity of a set tend to be more important than leeks that are hanging off the table at either end.

No comments:

Post a Comment